The Blue Light Summit, due to take place at the end of March at Breaffy House Resort in Castlebar, Co. Mayo, has been deferred until Friday 11 and Saturday 12 September, due to operational and health and safety concerns with the current Covid-19 outbreak.
The decision to defer the two-day summit has been taken by the organisers – EmergencyTimes.ie and event partner Mayo County Council – due to the current and expected operational demands and challenges faced by the emergency services and their personnel, who are required to carry out their duties in dealing with the current Covid-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak.
Event co-ordinator volunteer, Declan Keogh, said the decision to postpone the summit was regrettable but added that it is essential in order to allow the emergency services to carry out their duties to deal with the situation.
“Nobody wants to see any event postponed. However, given the nature of the ‘Blue Light Summit’ and with new cases confirmed, it’s essential that we act now and act responsibly. We must also acknowledge that the emergency and medical services personnel will be committed elsewhere, in working to contain the virus. We are hopeful, but confident, that our delegates, guests and exhibitors will understand and accept these circumstances, in order to allow the various services deal with the situation.”
Almost one thousand delegates from the emergency, medical, voluntary and search and rescue services from Ireland, the UK, US and across Europe were due to attend the two-day seminar, trade and exhibition show on 27-28 March next.
A spokesperson for Mayo County Council said: “We are in agreement with EmergencyTimes.ie that it has been necessary to postpone the ‘Blue Light Summit’ for now. And while all the emergency services and departments involved are advising the public of the various cautionary measures, we too must act accordingly and in the interest of public health and safety, given the recent developments.”